I don’t think there’s any doubt that communication skills are important. Not just professionally, but personally.
Being able to use your voice with confidence is an amazing feeling!
We all have different experiences and points of view that are valuable, but it isn’t always easy expressing those. Especially if we’re dealing with a difficult situation or person.
Before we can improve our communication skills, we have to assess where we’re starting. Answer the below 10 questions to gauge how well you communicate right now:
- Do you know your natural communication style?
- Do you know how to identify the communication style of others?
- Do you know the most effective approach to various situations?
- Do you know how to choose the correct medium for communication?
- Do you know how your non-verbals affect how you are perceived?
- Do you know how to respond on the fly, appropriately?
- Do you know how to get out of a tough conversation you’re not ready for?
- Do you know how to adapt your communication style?
- Do you know the “love languages” for the workplace?
- Do you know how to tell when your message is not coming across as you intended?
If you answered yes confidently to more than 6 of these then you’re well on your way to being an effective communicator!
There’s still work to be done, but you have a strong foundation. Make note of the areas you don’t fully understand yet or maybe haven’t had enough practice.
If you answered mostly no/sometimes/unsure then that means there are multiple areas to focus on.
Don’t feel bad though! No one was born as a great communicator. It’s a skill that can be developed. The questions help identify the areas of opportunity that you need developed most so that you can change those nos to yes with confidence.
Make sure to share your results with me so I can provide specific advice on how to improve in each area.